Author Archives: Northeastern CPS

Feed Subscription

3 Ways Academic E-Portfolios Benefit You in the Workplace


Not long ago, e-portfolios were seen as tools for established professionals trying to climb the career ladder. But the tides seem to be changing. E-Portfolios are now a big topic in curriculum redesign, with a forum at the Association of American Colleges and Universities’ most recent meeting and a global session at the Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online learning (led by presenter Gail Matthews-DeNatale, PhD, ... Read More »

Skills Gap: Do Students Graduate Ready for the Workforce?

Skills Gap

Do students graduate college ready for the workforce? The answer depends who you talk to. A difference in opinion According to a new Gallup poll, 11 percent of business leaders indicated that college graduates have the skills they need in the workplace. That leaves a whopping 89 percent who feel there’s a divide between what students learn in college and ... Read More »

Facebook Launching Mobile Education Pilot Program in Africa

Mobile Education for Facebook

In such a short time, our mobile phones have gone from being, well, telephones, to becoming our on-the-go Internet browsers, music players, social connectors, video game portals, cameras, fitness trackers, email platforms and so much more. And is it now becoming a key component in student learning? Many colleges and universities are asking themselves this question and trying to understand ... Read More »

How Do You Like Your Classes, Scrambled or Flipped?

Some rights reserved by Skley

There’s a lot of people already on the “flipped classroom” bandwagon. For the uninitiated, the idea behind the flip teaching approach is that students do their course work—watching the professor deliver a lecture via video, doing research, writing, etc.—away from school, then come to the classroom for in-person discussion with teachers and classmates. But there’s a new movement in higher education hold off ... Read More »

Could Online Learning Put an End to Snow Days?


For those of us who live in the Northeast — or more recently, the South — it might still be a sensitive subject, especially with several feet of snow still littering the sidewalks. But with all that snow comes much chagrin on the part of administrators: class and school cancellations. There’s a growing debate among educators about the role that ... Read More »

Digital Media’s Role in Education Takes a Leap Forward

Graduate certificates offer the opportunity to get a recognized credential in a wide variety of fields.

With each new school year, technology becomes more central in modern education. That trend took another step forward with the recent pairing of one of America’s leading textbook publishers and a popular web learning platform. Google Play for Education Just last week, publishing house Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) announced they’ve teamed up with Google Play for Education, a popular program ... Read More »

Pop Culture: Would You Like Some Education With That?


Some MOOC-based educators, eager to hold their student’s attention as news unfolds about completion rates sinking to as low as 4 percent, have begun moderating class formats and lesson plans to find ways to engage students. And it doesn’t just include having celebrity instructors or opening up in-person learning centers. Pop Culture Connection Education company Instructure, which has partnered with faculty at the University of ... Read More »

How to Separate Emotionally Intelligent Leaders from the Pack


Thanks to a recent post by Scott Morrison, a student in the Doctor of Education program at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies, we learned this week that effective leaders need to have high levels of emotional intelligence. It’s those soft skills, which are especially hard to measure, that can really set a leader apart, Morrison says. “Successful leaders need to be self-aware ... Read More »

Five Degrees That Will Shape Our Future

Degrees of the 21st Century

What will the future of higher education look like? How about safer, more environmentally conscious, and more fun? That’s the prediction according to a new infographic published in Edudemic that looks at five degrees that haven’t been around that long, but will make a big impact on our lives in the future. The degrees listed reflect new, emerging and growing ... Read More »

Top Five Trends in Higher Education for 2014


Competency-based learning has been a recurring theme here at Aspire in 2013—and we’re not surprised to see that it’s one of the National Journal’s 5 Higher-Ed Trends for 2014, as outlined by NJ writer Sophie Quinton. Other trends Quinton predicts in the pipeline are skyrocketing student loan debt, teacher effectiveness and concerns regarding privacy and data security. It’s worth a moment ... Read More »

Scroll To Top